My Photo
Name:
Location: Delhi, Delhi, India

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Adieu Paris

So finally its come. The joy ride has ended. My stay in Paris will come to an end very very soon. Just another 16 hours left. Then I will leave this soil. Hopefully not for forever.
As it happens the last day also happened to coincide with my birthday.Anyway more of that later. So what do I have to say about Paris. Parting words perhaps. All I can say is that it is almost unreal. If you are a romantic at heart or even if you have an iota of it, the city will pounce upon it, seize it with all force and bring it out.You just can't help being cast in a spell. The city is just too beautiful. You will have hardly recoverd from one breathtaking sight that you will find a dozen others competing for your attention. Waiting to captivate you and thrill you and amaze you and fill you with a wonder that you will never experience. From Montmarte to Sacre Couer, from Place de La Concorde to Champs de Elysees, from the Ile de Cite to Place Chatelet, from ..I just feel like reeling out name after name after name. Its every street almost, its every nook and corner , every whisper, every shout ,in a language strange at first but increasingly familiar and understandable now, every song you hear and the varied music that floats into your ears from the caribbean to the red indian,the life it has and yet the space it gives you,from maddening frenzy to a quiet calm all existing and interingling to create for me and for all people that ever set foot on it, memories to cherish for a lifetime and a longing to return.

---Wrenched from the heart of one of your most humble admirors

5 Comments:

Blogger satyajit said...

hey i cant even imagine..my only window to paris has been amelie and that has been awesome..i hope you get to go back there soon or from time to time or for a long time or for good..

3:02 PM  
Blogger shantanu said...

@satyajit well I actually have a chance to go there for another 3 months in feb. But as of now will not be going. You tend to miss things so much when you are deprived of them

@ nasalcrooner its all a question of interest and initiative. I had none for Kannada, infact most of us had none. Thus it remains strange till date.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Ashi said...

someone really close to me told me paris reminds him of calcutta, your post reminded me of him reminding me that paris reminds of calcutta. i want to be there :)

10:21 PM  
Blogger shantanu said...

@ashi
Well both are cities where people are not afraid to express their uniqueness. So you could say that there is a resemblance in the underlying spirits of the people

3:09 PM  
Blogger Still Searching said...

OOOOOHHHH!!!!! This is exactly how I felt when I was leaving Paris a lttile less than a yr back!! I still miss it so much now, that when I read your post, I get nostalgic again!!!! Really want to go back to each of the places you mentioned!!

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home