My Photo
Name:
Location: Delhi, Delhi, India

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The power of beauty...

I went to a church today. It was very near the pantheon, another rather famous monument of Paris. It was the church of Saint Genevieve. It was I don't really know how to describe it serene , beautiful , as if once you walk in through the portals you are transported to another world. For me it was "the Europe" I had envisaged in my dreams. I was totally enraptured by it. The silence was so very overpowering. Yes I know I had never thought I would describe silence like this.But then in this case you gave yourselves up too willingly. I wanted to remember its beauty , its every detail , the awe that it had struck me with and take it back to share with my close ones. But the camera is such a futile device. I also felt a bit weird taking pictures inside the church. It was as if you did not want any vestige of modern technology to tarnish the aura that it had.
I won't even attempt to describe the stuctures that were inside the church. Leave alone my inability I would say it is not something that can be potrayed by language or any other medium of communication that man has designed for himself. Life in Paris had fallen into a routine college and then back home and then the inevitable and incredible drudgery of cooking.
I was reading in some tourist guide that Paris is a myth. I can't help but agree. Its a perfect blend of the modern technological and its past history. Isn't beauty such a strange thing. It has the power to draw you out of whatever state you are in and fill your heart with oodles and oodles of enthusiasm, happiness , joy , ecstasy and ...
I really envy the people who are able to create beauty.
What was rather ironic was that I decided to leave the church early because I had some routine work in a bank, which rather fitfully was also not completed. I am so far away from leaving with the " quality" that had so inspired me in "Zen and the Art of... ".

3 Comments:

Blogger Dipanjan said...

"I really envy the people who are able to create beauty."
This line sums it all up.

5:18 PM  
Blogger yashovardhan gupta said...

aaaaahhhh, the blogger strikes again.

nice post!

8:56 PM  
Blogger shantanu said...

for dipanjan..

very well caught..even while writing..that was the main idea...

for yash..
well thanks..contact me when i'm in india..for my impressions on paris..

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home